Birding | Fishing & Boating | Golf | Quincy Historic Tour | Restaurants | Shopping |

Smallwood-White House (1843)

   The original one and one-half story winter home was built for Joseph Smallwood in 1843. In 1849, Judge Pleasants Woodson White married Smallwood's niece, Emily, and purchased the property. He enlarged and remodeled it in the Classical Revival in 1856. White was a major in the Confederate Army and was appointed as the Chief Commissary of the State of Florida. It was in this role that he issued the controversial “White Circular” appealing for desperately needed food stuffs for the Confederate Army. Confederate General G. T. Beauregard incorrectly blamed the information in the “White Circular” for influencing the Union Army’s invasion of Florida in February 1864. White was appointed commissioner of lands and immigration in 1881.

This house also served as the meeting place for the “The Ladies Aid Society.” It was formed to aid and comfort wounded Confederate soldiers. This group of women did much of the nursing and tended the sick and dying soldiers who came to Quincy from the Battle of Vicksburg, Mississippi and the Battles of Olustee and Natural Bridge in Florida.

The house and surrounding property were sold in 1921 to the Centenary Methodist Church and has been used as a parsonage for its ministers and their families ever since.

The house is an excellent example of Classical Revival architecture. With its tall Doric columns supporting identical front and rear porticos, the white house reflects the temple form that became the most distinguishing feature of this style.


Address:
212 North Madison Street
Quincy, FL 32351