Birding | Fishing & Boating | Golf | Quincy Historic Tour | Restaurants | Shopping |

Owl Cigar Company (1891)

   The Owl Cigar Company built this brick building for the production of Quincy’s first commercial cigars under the brand names of White Owl and Robert Burns. In the 1890s, this company had a labor force of 500, a majority of which were Alsatian Germans. The Alsatians recognized gray clay as Fuller’s Earth (a filter and a catalyst) known to them in the Old Country while digging a well on the property. This discovery resulted in creating a new industry in the area. In 1948, the Owl building became the Woodward Leaf Tobacco Company operated by R. D. Woodward, Jr. Frank Hearin, Lane Timmons, Charles Timmons, and W.L. Inman were also affiliated with the organization. The building was purchased and extensively renovated in 1978. It now houses a cabinet/furniture business, four residential apartments, studios and office space and is owned by Frank and Ellen DiSalvo.

Address:
404 North Madison Street
Quincy, FL 32351