Birding | Fishing & Boating | Golf | Quincy Historic Tour | Restaurants | Shopping |

Centenary United Methodist Church (1918)



(click to enlarge)

   The Methodist congregation was organized in Quincy in 1829. The present structure was built in 1918 and remodeled in 1976. The stained glass windows are the crowning glory of this beautiful sanctuary. Of particular significance and beauty is the signed Tiffany, the middle window on the north side (Franklin Street). Louis C. Tiffany (1842 -1933) used the painting by Williams Holman Hunt (1827-1910), “The Light of the World” for his inspiration. Christ is knocking at the door of the human heart. The door must be opened from within but there is no latchstring to be seen from outside. Tiffany achieved his lustrous, iridescent surfaces by varying the thickness of the glass. The stained glass collection of Centenary is one of the most outstanding in Florida.

Address:
122 North Madison Street
Quincy, FL 32351