Birding | Fishing & Boating | Golf | Quincy Historic Tour | Restaurants | Shopping |

Washington Lodge #2 (1852)



(click to enlarge)

   Washington Lodge No. 2, Free and Accepted Masons, created in 1828, was among the first Florida lodges. A Masonic wood frame building constructed in 1832 served the lodge as well as a community meeting place until it was destroyed by a hurricane in 1851. Construction of a new brick building began in 1852 and was completed by 1854. It was erected by Charles Waller, a Gadsden County builder-designer, who constructed several other brick buildings in the Quincy area. For over half a century, the Washington Lodge hall was the scene of community activities. In 1922, the Washington Lodge moved into their four-story building on the courthouse square, and this building later became the home of the Quincy Woman’s Club.

Under the auspices of first, the Quincy Women’s Club and now the Gadsden Historical Society, the old Washington Lodge continues to serve as a meeting place in Quincy. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It retains much of its original character although the appearance of the building has been changed by alterations including the addition of an exterior coat of stucco. The exterior walls are constructed of native sand brick and are three bricks thick.


Address:
304 West King Street PO Box 143
Quincy, FL 32353