Birding | Fishing & Boating | Golf | Quincy Historic Tour | Restaurants | Shopping |

Pat Munroe House (1893)



(click to enlarge)

   Mark Welch “Mr. Pat” Munroe built the Pat Munroe House for his first wife, Edith Adelaide Walker, in 1893. The couple had 10 children before her death in 1896. “Mr. Pat” later married Mary Frances Gray in 1912. Eight children were born from this union. “Mr. Pat” was the son of William Munroe, an immigrant from Inverness, Scotland. Serving for 50 years as president of the Quincy State Bank, “Mr. Pat” was regarded as a prominent and respected businessman. His family occupied the house until 1972 after which John Welch Bates, a grandson of “Mr. Pat,” purchased the home from the estate of Mary G. Munroe. The home was then donated to the City of Quincy. The Quincy Garden Club has leased the home since that time.

The Pat Munroe House is built of heart pine in an unadorned Victorian style. Notable features of the house include stained glass windows, sculptured mantels, and plaster ceiling medallions. The basic structure of the house has not changed since 1893. The grounds, however, have gone from a farm-like atmosphere with chickens, a cow, and vegetable garden, to a well-landscaped area with camellias, azaleas, and other plants of interest.

Address:
204 East Jefferson Street
Quincy, FL 32351